Effective March 8th, Lifts will run 9:30am - 4:30pm.
See the VIDEOS!
Purgatory is a mountain community that feels like home but is like no place you've ever been.
An endless backyard filled with exploration, relaxation and excitment. A destination where wildflowers grow thick as grass, trails lead off into the sunset and family members come to reunite. A central ground between the quintessential Colorado mountain town of Durango and the uniqueness of the Four Corners Region.
Whether you’re looking for heart pounding adventure or a relaxing vacation in the Rocky Mountains, once you've been to Purgatory you'll understand why so many visitors head to Southwest Colorado year after year.
The name Purgatory comes from a witty farmer who live in the area during the late 1800s and adopted the moniker for a nearby creek, a tributary of the Rio de las Anima Perdidas (the River of Lost Souls), dubbed by Spanish explorers for a group who disappeared on the river during Durango's early history.
Centuries later, outdoor enthusiasts and modern day explorers still flock to the area to experience all that the Four Corners has to offer including
- World class mountain biking
- Hiking and camping
- Gold medal fishing waters
- The San Juan Scenic Byway and Million Dollar Highway
Kudos and Recognitions
• Forbes names Durango "10 Best Ski Towns in America" for 2015 >>more
• TripAdvisor named Durango Mountain Resort the "Top Value Ski Spot" in North America >>more
• Family Travel Magazine - Top Family Friendly Resort >>more
• Los Angeles Times - Where Skiing is Still Affordable >>more
• Skiing Magazine - Ski "Dream" Town >>more
• Sunset Magazine - Great Snowy Getaway >>more
• Sunset Magazine - Best Places to Live (Runner-up: Best Place to be Finally Free) >>more
• Liftopia – The West’s Top 3 Most Livable Ski Towns >>more
• True West Magazine - Top 10 True Western Town in 2014 >>more
• 10Best and USA TODAY's Readers' Choice contest - San Juan Skyway Best Motorcycle Trip >>more
• The Active Times -- Most Scenic US Bike Trails – Animas River >>more
• 10Best Readers' Choice/USA TODAY -- Best U.S. Cycling Town #8 town >>more
• National Tour Association Distinguished Dozens -- NTA Favorite Scenic Railroad Gold Winner >>more
• Fox News - Top 10 Sleigh Rides in North America >>more
• TripAdvisor named Durango Mountain Resort Best Ski Value in North America 2012/2013 >>more
• Elevation Outdoors Magazine - Best Colorado Ski Town 2013! >>more
• Ski Area Citizens’ Coalition Named Durango Mountain Resort as a Top 10 Resort with an A Rating for Environmental Stewardship >>more
• National Geographic - Top 10 Emerging Ski Towns >>more
• ResortandLodges.com - Top 10 Colorado Getaways: Durango Mountain Resort >>more
• Nerdwallet.com - The Best Towns in Colorado for Young Families- #9 Durango, 2013 >>more
• Today Show -- 5 Beautiful Places Every American Should Visit, 2013 >>more
• True West Magazine - Top 10 True Western Town in 2013 >>more
• League of American Bicyclists names Durango “Gold Level Bicycle Friendly Community,” 2013 >>more
• Forbes.com -- The New Company Town, 2013 >>more
• HGTV named Durango Top Christmas Town 2012 >>more
• Travel + Leisure -- Best Places to Spend Christmas >>more
• Sunset Magazine -- Top 18 Spots for Fall Colors >>more
• Outside Magazine named Durango as one of the Best River Towns in America 2012 >>more
• Lonely Planet -- Top 10 US Travel Destinations for 2012 >>more
• Outside Magazine named Snowdown as one of the top five Winter Carnivals, 2012 >>more
• Yahoo.com -- Top Ten All−American Road Trips off the Beaten Path
• Examiner.com – Top 18 BeerCity USA 2012 >>more
• Smithsonian.com -- The 20 Best Small Towns in America, 2012